View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I got my 3.02 from Amazon when it was originally available as a beta on their site. Then it disappeared to be replaced by the long-running 3.03 beta - still not officially released. I just looked and it is the 3.0.2 (529960105). So I guess i could update if I wanted.
3.0.1 and 3.0.2 are still on their website if you just tweak the URL slightly. If you updated to 3.0.2 yourself then you're fine. Its just the brand new units which started appearing at the end of 2010 and start of 2011 that seem to have this unusual 3.0.2. Amazon claim this new 3.0.2 as good as 3.0.3 but some changes are missing if some reports are to be believed.

Quote:
Can someone explain why I'd want to? Yes, I know these things can be subjective - like Everest - it is there. But I'd like a bit of info on what the 3.03 offers.
They updated the kernel, WiFi driver, USB controller driver, eInk driver, some backend framework libraries and the browser got updated. The main change you'll see is that the browser is less buggy. Amazon never released a list of what was changed or improved so this is just going from the patches inside the update file.

Quote:
I do wish Amazon's upgrade were a full package and one could go back/forth if one discovered something was wrong. Anyone know - if things got bollixed up - does Amazon actually offer a full-scale upgrade to folks or does the unit need to be returned to them? That is, has Amazon ever offered a .bin that does the entire firmware "reinstall?"
Yeah. The earlier Kindle units had that type of update but the K3 has always been patches. They've never made a full image of a K3.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote