View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #72
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
So I am surely feeling my age, because I remember they had ads in comics when I was a young 'un. (Remember Charles Atlas and the "The Insult that made a man out of Mac?"). These ads did not detract from my enjoyment of the story at all. I also remember that there were ads in the SF magazines that I read. Those ads didn't slow me down either.
Now I understand the conceptv of people not liking the possibility of ads where they were'nt before. Hiowevetr, so long as there is an ad-free option available at full price and so long as the ad-supported version offers benefits to those who are OK with ads, I can't understand why people would object to the idea.

Actually, in the case of the KSO , its the other way around, I hear. There are people who buy the ad-free Kindles who envy the deals KSO owners get , according to the Amazon Kindle forums. People are different and there are the hardcore no ads people andthe "Why not ads" people. So long as there options for both, no big deal.
Comics and magazines are an entirely different beast to novels. They tried placing ads into novels, and the concept failed miserably. It never took off. You can't argue against decades of publishing experience. Magazines and comics would be the only formats that readers will be willing to see ads in, and they'd expect the price to reflect the decision.

I don't understand why you also insist on holding up the KSO as a supporting argument. It's not the same. A KSO is like ads on the flap of the dust jacket, or ads at the end of the book. They do not impede the actual reading experience once you've opened up a book. Ads within ebooks are a different concept and not at all comparable to the KSO model.

Last edited by howyoudoin; 10-26-2011 at 09:22 PM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote