View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #45
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Actually, it's not a matter of breaking it. As Ricky also pointed out, you could always burn a CD, and that was within iTunes' system.

iTunes didn't suddenly become a smash-hit success because they started to offer non-DRM material. Again, my point (really, my only point, so I don't have to recopy another dozen exchanges) was that the audience had already accepted DRM, considering the advantages of iTunes service as outweighing the discomfort of security. Same with Amazon.

Steve, that's partly my point too. iTunes, Amazon ... they are so convenient and (especially with iTunes) reasonably priced, why would a few restrictions bother me when the alternative is spending a ginormous amount of time creating or editing my own content that is drm free??

For me, it all boils down to my time vs. my pocketbook. If the time it takes to make something "costs" me less than my out of pocket, or if it doesn't exist in the marketplace ... then I'll make it myself. If my cost in time is more than the going rate, then I'm buying it if I want it that badly.

Most of the people who go through the trouble to hack into DRM so that they can pirate it are the same types who don't think identity theft and other "digital" crime is a big deal. I can't say that I respect them for their efforts, because I don't (and if I ever catch the little bugger who tried to charge $1,200 in plane tickets to my credit card ... he's toast .... Buddhist or not). They are the exception and not the rule.

When the majority of the consumers become digital pirates, it is because they feel that the marketplace is not paying attention. The recording industry is only ... maybe ... starting to learn this. When that gets far enough out of kilter, that's when we all get a Robin Hood mentality.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote