View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
help:
I apologize for asking for some quick answers, but I just bought a Nook Color yesterday and I need to have some answers to see if I need to return it today for a different reader.

1. My wife is petite and the reader is her birthday gift. She mentioned how heavy the NC is. Do you get used to this weight after having it for a while? She reads sitting in a chair and laying in bed. Would she have a hard time reading with this in bed because of the weight? Would it be too heavy for reading for an hour or so? Chime in ladies.

The weight of the NC is no problem for me. I have a cover so I can hold the NC like a book.

2. We do not have WIFI at our house. We have broadband cable. I do not want to invest more money changing over to WIFI. I need to know if 3G will allow me to connect for downloading books and if it cost anything to use 3G from my house. How do I know if I have 3G at my house? My wife has a cell phone that uses AT&T and we can use it anywhere we go: home and on the road.

The NC has no 3G, only Wifi. If you have broadband cable you router perhaps already has Wifi support. Otherwise a cheap Wifi router that you can connect to your existing one should only cost you about $30 or so

3. It is my present understanding that 3G will not allow me to go onto the Internet, but I would need to use WIFI for that. Is my understanding correct? Is 3G limited to downloading books?

The NC has no 3G, only Wifi.
The 3G of the Nook Classic can only be used to connect to the B&N store to buy books and to download them (the 3G is free). You will need Wifi for the internet browser

4. I am sure this has been answered, but I want to save time this morning from having to search for answers. Do any of you have any difficulty reading from the LCD screen over the eInk screen?

You can adjust brightness and background color.
I use the grey background with brightness almost completely down, and find this reads just as fine as my Nook Classic did (my personal opinion of course).

5. My wife continuously uses hand cream that is oil based. How would she go about using the touch screen without constantly having to clean it from her oily fingers? Is there something she can wear on her finger(s) to keep the screen clean?

You will need to clean the screen regularly anyway.
You could use a stylus for a capacitive touchscreen (like ipad/ipone).

6. Is the LCD screen as easy to read as the eInk screen, especially outside in the sun?

Winter here, no sun yet. No experience reading in the sun.

7. Is the touch screen superior to the Qwerty keyboard? Is the Nook eInk reader as good as the Kindle eInk reader?

No experience with the Kindle. Both are probably not great for typing a lot, but okay for short texts.

8. My wife wears contacts but reads wearing glasses. Have any of you noticed any difference in eye strain using contacts over glasses?

9. Do any of you download books using your computer and then downloading them to your Nook?

Both Nook Classic en NC support e-pub with Adobe DRM. Install Adobe Digital Editions and authorize you Nook. Connect your Nook to your PC with the USB cable. It will show up as a drive letter on your PC.
Copy the books to your Nook using ADE, or just drag and drop them.
Works fine.
You can also read books from the public libray this way (Kindle does not support this).

You can also sideload B&N books this way. You do not need ADE for B&N books. You can just drag and drop those.

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my questions. Your answers will determine if I return the NC for a Nook eInk reader and keeping the Nook or trading it for a Kindle.
:thanks
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote