View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
A very nice post, beppe, and interesting examples :
Thank you Ea. Your praise is much appreciated. It spurs me to add a consideration on the instructional value of reading fiction.

It has been pointed out by sociologists and philosophers that many forms of unexpected violence by youths are associated to a cultural vacuum. I am not referring to those socially under privileged. The Italian philosopher Umberto Galimberti mentions "emotional illiteracy" as one of the causes. This is explicitly related to the lack of exposition to fiction in the early years of education. Where else can one young person learn about sentiments and emotions, their value and importance. Certainly not from play stations, or from SMS exchanges.

I am familiar with the discussions on this point and similar in Italy but I know nothing of this in other countries, if it is debated, anything.

It would be nice to have some comments.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote