View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
shiffy
shiffy doesn't littershiffy doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
I tried out Zinio when it first came out for the ipad and though it looked nice, decided against using it because the speed of rendering the page after a turn was much too slow. I kept the app on my ipad, however, in order to see if they would update it. They've now updated it twice -- the first didn't address the issues I had, but the last substantially improved things and I've now subscribed to a couple of magazines (National Geographic and Sporting News Daily Edition). National Geographic looks great and also has some interactive features that you can't get in print.

Only thing I don't like is that at least with some magazines - such as, Sporting News daily edition - the text columns occur right on the fold (with part of the column on one page, part on the other). I would assume that this is the magazine publisher's issue, not Zinio's, but don't know. This is only an issue if you view it in portrait -- in landscape, you see the two facing pages at once. It's not terrible, however, as the app let's you slide enough of the page over so that you can see the full column (but only if you continue to keep your finger on the screen -- once you lift your finger, it'll go back to the previous page -- and if you slide too much, it'll jump to the next/prior page, depending which way you are sliding). Still, I'd prefer that all text in a column be on one page.
shiffy is offline   Reply With Quote