View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #662
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is a basic problem with the recovery process that uses the Freescale provided code.

With the exception of the off-chip RAM and 2 models of USB UARTS, the Freescale code only handles on-chip devices.

The battery charger and management is done off-chip.
Without code to control the off-chip battery management, things are more than a bit non-deterministic.

The good news is the source code license which the ATK is under - it covers derivatives of the client side code (mis-named by Freescale as a "RAM kernel").

The bad news is that same license prohibits the addition of any code that would bring the Freescale provided code into the "Open Source" world. I.E: You can not add GPL licensed code (or any other "viral" license) when making your derivative.

The only known (to me anyway) sources of battery management chip code is GPL licensed.

The solution is to re-write (rather than derive) the client side code so that existing GPL code can be re-used.

In the time I have been posting about this, I have not been exactly over-whelmed by offers of assistance and it is too much of a project for me to do on my own.

Which leaves the end-user with the next-best alternative - remove the battery and re-charge it with an "Amazon approved" charger outside of the Kindle.
Hmm explains a lot about the battery issue.
Solid research.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote