View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #73
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Yifanlu, I think I have found the main problem. The citation marks are missing when FILES are set to empty string in "copy_new_files()" procedure in file "make-package.ffs":

FILES=""
for file in ${SKIP_TTS_FILES}; do
/bin/umount /usr/share/nuance/data/$file
FILES="${FILES} data/$file"

I also found out that it seems to be important to not only replace the rootfs.img and do a reboot if Step 2 (Create updater) fails, but in addition do a software Restart by pressing Menu/Settings/Menu/Restart to try a fresh install. However, I am not sure if this is necessary now after inclusion of the missing citation marks.

I use Cygwin in Windows 7 with OpenSLL and Python packages to run the script to compile the binaries using "bash create_packages.sh". However, despite that the binaries in the beta2-2 version were compiled without error I couldnīt use them to update the Kindle (The Update option in the Settings menu was greyed out). I had to combine the make-package.ffs file from beta2-2 version with the create_packages.sh in alpha version to get binaries with Cygwin that were acceptable for the Kindle.

I am now creating the update package for the DXG on the non-US Kindle Wifi+3G. It has passed the critical "Saving tts files" stage and is currently compressing the image. I takes a loooong time but I am optimistic that it now finally will generate an update binary. Then I will try to update the DXG with it.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote