View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielocks View Post
bob -- what are the benefits of kindle that you see?
For me it is about:

1. Portability - I can carry 10, 20, 100 books at one time.

2. Readability - I can adjust the font size as needed based on the amount of light and how tired my eyes are.

3. Comfort - Holding the kindle is much nicer than holding a heavy hard cover book.

4. Compactness - I don't need to find alot of space to store my books. Thousands are stored on my PC's hard drive.

5. Convenience - I can look up a word in the built in dictionary, highlight a passage, annotate it, have multiple bookmarks, search in books.

5b. I can easily buy books without going to the book store. I don't have to worry if they are out of stock or closed, etc.

6. Value add - The kindles web browser is basic but you can access wikipedia and other news sites. Perhaps your email site. All for "free" via whispernet.

Those are the reasons I prefer a digital reader and ebooks to p-books.

That said, if all you read are public domain books that you were paying for in printed form, then yes you can save money. As a matter of fact, the majority of ebooks I have read have been free. Many via TOR giveaways and other promotional giveaways by various publishers.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote