View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #34
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I don't think this will make a huge difference.
I don't either.

According to the rumor, the Haswell family, due out next year, still has sockets.

Then the Broadwell family, due out in 2014, is socketless.

Then the Skylake family, due out in 2015, has sockets.

But that doesn't mean all new Intel processors released in 2014 would be socketless, because, historically, there is overlap where new models from the last generation are still appearing after the introduction of the next generation.

One way to interpret the rumor is that when, with Broadwell, Intel next reduces the distance between transistors on its chips -- a big factor in power consumption -- they will throw those first on mobile devices. The next year, those fabrication plants start producing socketed 14 nm desktop chips AKA Skylake.

Will the Intel tick-tock continue forever? No. Nothing does.

Anyone miss the days when you could build a color TV from parts, as my father did, and then replace individual tubes or capacitors based on what your oscilloscope told you? Didn't think so. One day the whole computer -- motherboard, SSD, and power supply -- may be reduced to a single chip. Then we'll be onto building something else.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote