View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly it is. My point was simply that authors who are regarded as "essential reading" in one culture are not necessarily so in another. Eg, I suspect that rather few British people have read Steinbeck, despite his (justifiable) fame in the US. I would (at the risk of modesty) consider myself to be extremely well-read, especially when it comes to the classics, but I must confess that I've never read any of his work.
I'd completely agree. Essential does vary from country to country. That's a lot of what is great about MobileRead. We get recommendations from readers in many different countries and backgrounds. I constantly ask my friends from other countries what they would suggest I read.

I think you need to read Steinbeck. I was amazed by Cannery Row last year. As a Canadian I need to read Mordecai Richler, Margaret Atwood and Robertson Davies, all of whom I haven't read anything by. But then they weren't on our reading lists when I went to school.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote