View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #21593
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm sitting on top of the world,
Just rolling along
Just rolling along
I'm quitting the blues of the world
Just singing a song
Just singing a song

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnzhb3evSc )

Good morning, everyone! Happy Ides of October. Halloween is on the way so get your costumes ready! I'm drinking a wonderful cup of East India Company's "Royal Breakfast" tea, along with half a chicken breast and some raw broccoli. Weird breakfast mood today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Stitchawl - welcome back and so glad that you had a fantastic time. Thanks for the photos and I am looking forward to some more. Is folding the chute as complicated as it use to be with the old regular parachutes?
There is no 'packing a chute' for paragliders. That complicated stuff is for sky divers who need their chutes to deploy correctly in mid air. Paragliders start with the chutes spread open on the ground and the control lines going over the arms into the hands. Then it's just -run like the Devil-look up to get yourself centered under the canopy, release some of the control lines-pull on other control lines while still running like a madman, pull the control lines just enough to configure the canopy to catch more air- rise up into the sky like a little happy birdie! (See photo sequence below. Kudos to my wife for taking these pics under such difficult lighting conditions!) The only packing comes at the end of the day, putting the chute into a duffel bag making sure not to get all the lines tangled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
One solution that may be less expensive, and yet equally effective, is "activated charcoal" for aquariums. This is usually granulated (good use of one of those make your own tea bags), and because of the activation is porous in exactly the right range to clean up off-tastes, etc.
That is a BRILLIANT solution!! The little chunks for aquariums would be perfect inside a large tea bag, metal tea strainer, or better yet, sew a little pocket out of some cloth, as the charcoal will keep working for a year or two. Paper teabags might not last as well. Just be sure to rinse off the charcoal 'dust' before you put it into the pot.

Time for one more mug of tea, then it's off to take some more photos of Cosmos fields. Very popular flower here in Japan, and there are huge fields of them in bloom all over!

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingA.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	94185   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingB.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	94186   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingC.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	94187   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingD.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	94188   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingE.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	94189  

Last edited by Stitchawl; 10-15-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote