View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritch View Post
Oops! Thanks for your replies. Sorry I took so long to acknowledge them. Perhaps the IPAD will be a more appropriate device for what I envision. (That would of course give me color, and also allow for attaching videos and animations.) Battery life and OS startup are concerns, though. I guess it will be out soon enough to find out.
If the iPad sounds like a reasonable candidate then you might also like to check out some of the other tablet and slate style devices. There seems to be quite a swag of them in the "coming soon" category. There are also numerous styles and sizes of notebooks/netbooks that are also very versatile in what they can do. Not all are the standard clamshell design and there are already some on the market which have screens that swivel round and fold back onto the keyboard with the display facing up.

Weight is obviously a consideration for some buyers, but I'm used to reading hardback books and haven't found the weight of a netbook to be any kind of problem. I also do like a decent sized screen and the versatility of being able to use a wide range of software rather than just the maker's inbuilt option. If your primary goal is to build a reference library then I'd say that a netbook style device would certainly be worth considering. It would give you a big range of options with regard to readable formats plus general ease of cataloguing. searching, accessing, etc. That's how it seems to me anyway - others may differ.

Good luck with your choice - there's a lot of candidates out there now...
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote