View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
My ereader requirements --advice? Nook? Alex? Something else?:)

Fellow ereaders,

My PRS-505 was recently stolen and I'm now looking for a better ereader. I've been reading reviews of the other Sony readers, Nook, Cybook... but I'm not at all convinced. I'm hoping you can shine a light on this.

Here's what I'd like to have in my reader:

-Nice screen: readability is most important for me. Not LCD, and probably no touch screen either.
-Not too big or too small. PRS-505 size was good, 300 is too small, Kindle DX is too big.
-Decent, resizable (, changeable) fonts. PRS-505 default serif font was ugly (I replaced it), and it didn't have italics, it just slanted the font.
-No weird issues when copying books to it. I'm using gnu/linux, and uploading books should be as easy as copying them to the ereader.
-ePub or something similar, plus PDF (with and without reflow)
-Not too expensive (preferably <$300)

Nice additions:
-Search.
-Nicely formatted text.

I don't need wifi or 3G.

The Nook looks nice, although I'm not sure about the fonts or the readability of the screen. Same goes for the Alex eReader, although it's twice as expensive as the Nook.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by grimborg; 07-28-2010 at 04:42 AM.
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote