View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
It actually happens when you touch "Logout" in the Kobo app, and they warn you what's going to happen if you do logout. Next time you start up, if you log back in, Kobo begins restoring your library and as long as I remained "Logged in" I could read my books even if I took the iPad itself offline.
Wait. So they warn you not to log out or you'll lose access to your books, and you do so, and you complain anyway? I thought you had a semi-valid complaint until I read this comment. Unless you have more than one user ID there is no reason to log out ever. I logged in once when I first installed the Kobo app and have never had a reason to log out, never had to log back in and never lost access to my books.

You complain the iPad is large and bulky compared to your eReader, were you not aware of the size of the iPad before you purchased one?

iBooks easily loads any DRM free ePub file I have purchased (mainly from Kobo, who doesn't laden their files down with DRM). That is something more than the Kindle or Kobo applications can do at this point. You complain that you can't take your iBook files to other reader applications, but you can't take your Kindle files to another reader application either. You pretty much can't take any store's DRM protected files to another application, again this is pretty well known.

I don't believe Apple is blocking anyone from writing a "genuine ePub rendering engine onto the iPad." It is simply a matter of someone writing one. Given that the iPad is a month old, give developer some time. It's unfortunate that Amazon killed Stanza off or we'd probably have a version of it for the iPad by now.

Last edited by scottjl; 05-06-2010 at 11:20 AM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote