View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Your reply brings up an interesting thought though. I have seen this statement before but I don't know what it means: Sideloading. What does sideloading refer to? I just plugged in the tablet, Calibre recognized it and I transferred books like I did my old Sony 505. This is a new term for me.
Sideloading is what you do to get books on it. Basically, it means transferring books (or anything else) via USB, rather than buying books from B&N (or whoever made the particular device) directly through the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Also what does "rooting" mean?
Installing a different operating system than what came on the device. Or, generally, a different variant of the same operating system (mostly, they're Android). The stock, off the shelf OS is generally pretty locked down. On a nook, for instance, you can only buy and run apps through B&N's app store, but if you install a generic version of Android, you can get apps from many different places.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote