View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #24
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
They have 40 hour work weeks with overtime a maximum of 60 hours a week. The rate of suicide is actually low. (50 employees of Air France committed suicide in 2 years). It is not an easy environment for young people who come from the countryside, no doubt. A factory cannot be a kindergarten. But in China these days it is extremely easy to find a job at another factory. You see the signs at every factory. The unsatisfied workers would only have to walk about 500m to go to the next gate.

The main mistake Foxconn made was the very large "suicide bonus" that proved too enticing for workers who wanted to help the people back home. Those are the really poor ones, the ones that don't work at a factory like Foxconn, but work at a local invested one.

Of course, you are seeing it like it is. The whole matter won't help Chinese workers, all that will come of it is that many of them will lose their jobs and the poor farmers will have fewer opportunities to improve their lots.

By the way, workers in Taiwan electronics factories make over 1000 USD per month, a move there would definitely not be for the lower cost. My point being, China's workers lot has improved so much in the last 20 years, if you really want to help the workers it must be at a sustainable pace. A giant jump in costs will just force the factories to close and move elsewhere. That would be the greatest loss for the workers.
Not arguing with you. You lost all rights to civilised debate with me when you called me 'boy'.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote