View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Funny, I was thinking about this yesterday. I've sold my first e-reader because it wasn't a book, and because a lot of stuff wasn't yet available as an e-book in 2007.

Now, I've become used to my e-reader. I'm re-reading James Clavell's Shogun, which I also have as a hardcover. Yesterday I tried reading a chapter in the real book... and... I hated it. The book is huge, a 1000 page (edit: almost) behemoth, larger than any paperback I have, and it weighs a ton. To read for extended amounts of time in such a book, I need to put it down, or support it somehow, which I don't need to do with the Kindle.

I also have another book which I want to re-read, but of which there is no e-book available. I'm finding that I'm actively postponing this re-read, as this book is even bigger than Shogun... (I have this book twice, even: once as a gift, in a Dutch version, and once bought in English.)

The strange thing is, that, while I now prefer to read e-books, I still *like* books as objects. I can see myself selling all my paperbacks, and then buying hardcovers of books I really like to build a (modest) book case, but never reading them, as I'll have all of them as an e-book.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-17-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote