View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
jgarrity
Enthusiast
jgarrity doesn't litterjgarrity doesn't litterjgarrity doesn't litter

Device: Adobe Reader
Free ebook: Mars Girl by Jeff Garrity

Madam Broshkina graciously posted my new novel Mars Girl in the BBeb/LRF forum (which initially drew me to this site) but I thought I'd provide a link to my site here for those who missed it there. I've included some review excerpts and comments concerning Mars Girl below. It's only available as a free download right now. Mars Girl is my first novel and my goal is to introduce the book to as many people as possible, and get feedback from readers. The book is published under a Creative Commons license. Mars Girl is available in a few formats at my site:

www.marsgirl.us

If you don't find a format that works for you, let me know. And if there's anyone who would like to assist in creating new formats, or point me in the right direction, that would be wonderful. There seems to be a great deal of expertise here.

Would people rather go to my site to get the book, or is it better to post files here?

Jeff

Comments/Reviews:

Mars Girl is fast-paced, insightful, inventive and very, very funny. Its vision of where the mutual dependence of politicians and media producers will end is both hilarious and a little frightening. Put Karl Rove and Groucho Marx in a smoke-filled room, spin well on 24-hour news cycle, and you get Mars Girl. This should be required reading for anyone who watches cable news, votes or is thinking of running for President in 2012.
-Marc J. Sheehan

Mars Girl is reminiscent of Kurt Vonnegut's early satire ... [It's] a bizarre, satirical romp that offers a glimpse into the media and politics of a future that is probably nearer than most would like to admit.
-Bill Castanier, City Pulse, Lansing, Michigan

Mars Girl should make us all pay more attention to the threat of media manipulation of our world. Garrity's subtle wit and the fast-paced action make this a most enjoyable read.
-Harry McGee

Kind of like Carl Hiaasen, Vonnegut, and even Dr. Strangelove. It's an incredibly fast paced page turner. I read it in about 7 hours and couldn't get enough. I laughed, I cried, I chewed off all my nails. LOL. I'd like to send copies to all our media stars, producers and publishers of the 24 hour news cycle to shame them.
-Terry Mentgen

Sometimes I wasn't sure where Garrity was coming from during the odd-but-intriguing moments, but the world he creates is believable and the style grows on you. Mars Girl's twists and turns kept me interested and I'm still trying to figure out the ending; if any book I've read recently is ripe for a follow-up, it's this one. I'm curious to see what the author will come up with next.
-Rob Peerman

Last edited by jgarrity; 09-14-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Reformatted thread title
jgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote