Thread: Samsung Note 8
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #79
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
While an 8" device is probably too small for my bear paws, I suspect I would have done whatever it took to get a device like this in college. I remember one of my HP programmable calculators cost me around 600 bucks my freshman year. And that was swell, ahem, a while ago.

I like the 10.1 inch but even that's a little bit small. the 16:10 screen ratio helps a little bit. its a vastly better than that 16:9 ratio display.

I've have an Asus 10.1 inch. It's actually surprisingly serviceable. The wait is fine and if I want to use it one handed I have a nice slim line case that, once opened up, has an internal elastic band which security to my hand and helps distribute the weight in the palm nicely. I was actually skeptical myself but once I got this configuration I've been okay with it. But it doesn't have an active digitizer like the note 2. The capacitive screens just pretty much stink on ice. So bad as to be all but usable for handwriting anything longer then a dozen words. still, for annotating PDF's or other type things is adequate not spectacular but adequate. I could see a note with an active digitizer would really really be great.

To me though it's not the size of the device that's a concern. What concerns me is the software used on the devices. Study management or research management software is generally pretty abysmal. From my reading about the Notes, and I haven't really done more than play around with the Note(s) of whatever flavor, but Samsung seems to have done a fairly well received job on apps that utilize the S Pen and geared toward the needs of the demographic for this family of devices.

I guess I'm trying to point out that the software on these Samsung devices represents a not insignificant part of the cost of the device. Samsung spent a lot of resources developing what appears to be very solid software to utilize the S Pen well. Its not like one of these cheap crummy thrown together Android tablets. I count my Asus tf300 as one of those types of tablets. Its okay but its nothing special.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote