View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
rncomputes
rncomputes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Strange. Windows 7 recognizes my Arc instantly (though I'm a little wary of the lack of the normal USB mass storage device icon in the systray for safe unmounting :/), without any prompting for drivers or fiddling or anything.

What OS are you using?

Which USB ports are you connecting to and are you using an extension cable to do so? (some devices, I've noticed, only connect properly when done via a single cable, and then only through the rear USB ports)
I've done some experimenting with my Arc on numerous PC's. It worked fine on an HP Laptop, 3 Homebulilt Asus motherboard XP computers in Front and Back USB ports and on some using an extension cable. But on my main Windows 7 32 bit OS computer on an SSD drive I have all sorts of issues. It will only connect as a PTP device directly connected in a rear USB Port. If I use a extension cable or Front usb port, it reports unknown device. When I used my Win 7 32 bit OS from one of my back up hard drives the Arc connected using PTP and MTP configurations. But only directly connected to the rear usb port. Connected Anywhere else, or using extension cables I got unknown device error. When I tried it on a Win 7 64 bit OS It connected ok on rear usb port in both configurations, but when I used an extension cable it worked sometimes but most of the time it gave a code 10 error message in Device Manager and did not work. When used on the front usb ports I got unknown device message. So on some computers there were no problems and on others there were lots of problems. I have had no other problems with any usb device on my main computer until I got the Arc. Iv'e had no problems with digital and video cameras, all sorts of usb sticks and attachments. Seems there are a ton of incompatibilities between the computer(motherboard), Windows, and the Kobo Arc.
rncomputes is offline   Reply With Quote