View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Sounds like there might be room for a complementary function to the Database Integrity check function that looks through all the folders in the calibre library, and if it finds any books there that are not in the database adds them back in (if necessary renaming the folder).
It sounds useful to me. What I've been doing without this feature is to move the library. Calibre moves everything it knows about, deletes the associated folders in the library, leaving only the books that are not in the database. I then add back into Calibre all the leftover folders/books. It's a lot of steps.

Quote:
Does anyone see any fundamental issues with such an idea
Nothing fundamental. You'd have to decide what to do about duplicates - create new records, ignore or replace existing formats? You also need to decide what to do about non-Calibre-created files. The big one is when the user has created his Calibre Library by specifying his original non-Calibre ebook library folder. Old Calibre folders are easy as the folder names and ebook filenames are standardized.

Quote:
If I DO start this I would be thinking of also making a change to write the .opf file to a folder whenever the metadata changes as this would be useful in reconstructing entries in the Calibre database, and also means there is a copy of the metadata external to the database itelf if the database ever gets corrupted without the need to do a "Save to Disk" function.
I've often thought this would be nice. In fact, a button (or command line option) to create all the .opf files in all the records would be useful. Currently, to merge two libraries, you need to export the files and the opf with Save to Disk, when all you really need is the opf files.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote