View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Now I don't even begin to understand the "how" of this, but if it would be possible to allow access to the "email to kindle" and the store without Amazon getting a report on everything I do or "upgrading" , by allowing only 3g access that sounds interesting. Can it me done? A switch to turn wifi off and leave 3g on? Would it block big brother or just slow him down?

Please ignore me if I am being an ignorant pest......
The shot answer: Someday, probably YES.
That is the point of the structure I designed.

It will take research to learn what Internet addresses Amazon uses for which purpose.

But your/my example (If my guess based on name of registered owner is correct) - -

'e-mail to Kindle' works over either Wifi or 3G.
Over 3G there is a charge, over Wifi is free (at least in the USA).

So now the user can choose to block or accept either type (with the default of being blocked).
Just add that 'ACCEPT' exception to the filter rule for either 3G or Wifi or both or neither (neither is the default).

And to your other (implied) question, also mentioned by another poster* - - -
This, at the moment, does not prevent you from using your Kindle on your OWN home Wifi - it is only blocking the public Wifi use.
Even when using your OWN home Wifi, it blocks access to Amazon.

It just requires more research to learn just what to 'ACCEPT' to allow the (commercial) 'Free Wifi' public services.

Of course, that will have to be the end-user's decision - since Amazon will get a report of which Hot Spot you are using.

So today, I have to go learn how to make 'Buttons' for it.
Once that is done, the end-user will not require USBnetworking to use the 'Block Big Brother' (BBB) add-in.

- - - -
* TWO INTERESTED USERS - Durn but this project is getting a lot of interest now!
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote