View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
cs2501
cs2501 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
There was a discussion about PDF search in this thread. Searching a single PDF doesn't take long, but going through all files on your device is nearly impossible without some kind of indexing.

I don't know the biggest reported file size, but I regularily use PDFs of ~50-70 MB without problems (scanned books). PDF files with Font1 fonts (some old versions of LaTeX used to produce these) take very long to load (even on my PC), but that is unrelated to the file size and only occurs with about 0.1% of the PDF files I tried to read on my device.
Nice. I have a HP ScanJet I use to scan in all my books and other materials into my computer. I'm experimenting with abby fine read and omni page right now for OCR.

In regard to that post, I'm not quite sure I understand how to search within a .pdf from it. The most linux exposure i've had is a dual boot with ubuntu. Are you running a command string from a terminal? It looks like you have the number of instances of the phrase, but I don't really see the .pdf being searched? Sorry sounding so confused, it just looks very technical to me.
cs2501 is offline   Reply With Quote