View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Paperwhite 2 Died

So I received my Paperwhite 2 just yesterday and today it has already stopped working.

I was trying to put some files on it so I connected it to my computer with the USB cable. The USB Drive Mode didn't seem to work. It just stayed on the Home Screen (or whatever screen I was currently on) and would not charge. My computer had an empty drive pop up to signify the PW2, but I couldn't access it and the Ejection notice screen never came up on the PW2.

I thought I should reboot the device to see if that would fix it and when I did the Repair Needed screen came on. What I did exactly was the PW2 was plugged into my computer. I held down the power button to start the reboot process. I held it down for about 2-3 seconds and then pulled the USB cable out while still holding down the power button for the total 20 seconds to get the reboot. I'm not sure if that contributed to it, but I can't see how it could have. Trying to reboot the device afterwards did not fix it while unplugged the whole time. I was able to get the device into USB Drive Mode while it was rebooting so I could grab my files from it to backup. That took about 3 reboots since it seemed to only work during the Kindle tree logo loading screen.

I chatted with Amazon and they are sending me a replacement with 2 day shipping. If the shipping is as fast as the one I got yesterday then it will probably be 1 day shipping.

Just wanted to post this up in case someone else has the USB Drive Mode issue. It might mean your device is about to die and you should back up your data and get ready to contact Amazon after you try a reboot. I never actually got to put any files on the device or change anything. Must just be a dud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	112622  

Last edited by Outrager; 10-02-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote