View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I have the Nook HD and HD+, plus also the new Nexus 7, though it's a gift for somebody else and I'm just setting it up and playing with it for now.

I would only consider the HD/HD+ if you want a tablet for reading only, as the low price make those rather compelling. But if you intent to use it as a more general purpose tablet, then I would certainly recommend the N7.2, it has better specs all around, especially the screen, processor and cameras, comes with a more up to date OS and is guaranteed to get timely updates. The Nook HD/HD+ will most likely see no further updates from BN, at best some critical bug fixes, but I would not expect them to get official JB versions (though you can get them via 3rd party ROMs). Don't get me wrong, the HD/HD+ are good tablets, but they are dated now and seem to be on clearance meaning end of life.
Quote:
As for the mini, my personal opinion is that it is way overpriced, it offers nothing above the N7.2 (less RAM, slower processor, poor screen) while costing an extra $100, so I do not think it is a smart buy. And as this is a reading forum, from the ones you listed it offers the poorest reading experience due to its low pixel density..
This is my feeling on the mini too. It pretty (as are more of Apple's products) but honestly, the Nexus seems to have it beat on just about every important spec at this point and it's much cheaper than the mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would wait (am waiting) for a few more choices to become available in the 7-8" tablet space. The next iPad Mini for one, and perhaps an 'HD' successor to the Samsung Note 8. Not to mention the new Fire, except that's one I probably will not go with. But if I were forced to get something now I'd get the Nexus 7.
I'm taking a long train ride (15 hrs+) in a couple of weeks so I'm looking for something to take with me. If something better comes along in the next few months, maybe I'll trade in whatever I buy or sell it to get something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Nook HD+ is fine for all of those things. It's much nicer for web browsing than the smaller tablets. Same with magazines.
I keep thinking the same thing.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between the HD+ and the N7. They're both good values with great screens. The N7 is definitely snappier (from what I've read) and like afv011 pointed out, will get updates directly from Google but the HD+ could serve my needs well too. Decisions, decisions.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote