View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #62
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
I owned ereaders since their beginning. - and I'm posting this from my ipad.
Yet reading about the sarcasm everywhere in this thread, I'm a bit saddened... Nothing for me will ever surpass the pleasure of holding a real books in my hands, nor - laugh as much as you want - its texture, its smell.
Please, feel free to swim in the digital seas as much as you want - I'll remain convinced that the zealots among you have lost a lot.
Why do you think though that those of us who prefer e-books over "real" (i.e. physical) books have lost anything at all, never mind "a lot"? Is it so impossible to believe that for some of us, e-books are a genuine improvement in many ways, not just a way to make do?

I am likely in a minority here, but if I can smell a book at all, I hate it. I can't stand the smell of ink; in fact, I'm somewhat allergic to it. I'm also allergic to dust, which the 1000+ paper books in my home tend to accumulate. I've always found it difficult to hold most mass market paperbacks open and reading them, while certainly being a tactile experience, is mostly a struggle, where the tactile experience of struggling to hold the book open enough to see the text (what with the often-narrow inner margins) takes the focus away from what I'm reading, enough so that I often needed to re-read a paragraph several times because my attention was on keeping the book open.

I do still buy the occasional paper book, if it's something I really love - although only if it has beautiful cover art (or isn't available electronically), which makes about five books a year (out of 300+ books a year I've been buying since switching to e-books). I prefer good quality hardbacks if possible, not because I particularly enjoy the tactile experience but because they tend to not stink, the ink doesn't rub off onto my fingers, and they are easier to hold open without a struggle.

I have a very hard time imagining what I have "lost" by shifting the overwhelming majority of my leisure reading (non-illustrated fiction) to a format that lets me focus on the content instead of making me sneeze or struggle with it.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote