Thread: Hacks Kindle 2 and PDFRead 1.8
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
In landscape mode, there really shouldn't be any text lost, as there is some overlap between the landscape 'halves' to allow you to read that line on the next page flip.

I also have recently addressed the sub-par image quality produced by Mobiperl's default code for creating .prc's which honour the PalmOS .jpg size maximum. See this post for more info and get the new NRhtml2mobi.exe.

Concerning the right Profile to use, the 'mobi-prc' is a landscape profile and 'mobi-prc-p' a portrait one. They just setup everything 'Kindle 1', which you can override with Colors 16, Layoutmode 'landscape-half' (ensures just two page flips for each .pdf page), etc. There should be no reason to use the generic profiles, unless, of course, you want to output .html and images instead of .prc ebooks.

I don't know anything about the Kindles 2's max image size, has it changed to 600 x 800 or is it still less that the max. screen size?

If someone can confirm which settings work best, I'll include a 'Kindle 2' Profile in the next release of PDFRead.

Thanks for testing this out!

p.s. daffy4u, the Kindle 2's increased color (grayscale) resolution to 16 shades is a big step forward; much better than the 4 shades of the Kindle 1. It's made me rethink .prc support within PDFRead.
I started with the prc profiles with the script pages in the first post but they just were not working for me. I'm attaching a zip file with my tests. I'd appreciate your input on them. The profiles and results are named alike, so it should be easy (ha ha) to see which profile goes with which results.

I know you've provided a lot more ways to tweak the results and I'm slowly getting to know them.

Thanks for your work on this!
Attached Files
File Type: zip pdfread tests.zip (4.70 MB, 919 views)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote