Thread: Hacks Kindle 2 and PDFRead 1.8
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindle 2 and PDFRead 1.8

A thread on the Amazon Forums inspired me to revisit using PDFRead 1.8 to convert complicated PDF documents for use on the Kindle. I played with it for about 5 minutes once for Kindle 1 and didn't really explore it enough. The 16 gray scale Kindle 2 made me feel like trying again.

There have been several people who have wanted to read film scripts on the Kindle. Regular conversion is not so hot because the formatting is lost (see samples in posts 12 and 22).

Tonight I spent some time trying to come up with the right profile to get a script onto my Kindle 2. I tried 10 different test profiles and came up with one that works pretty well. Since the PDF is turned into images, the font can't be bumped up so the type is on the small side but the whole script page is visible in portrait mode. My results are below. Please remember that the screen grab makes thescript page look larger than it actually is.

I'd like for everyone to use this thread to test various types of PDF files with PDFRead 1.8 (math equations, charts, graphs etc) and share the profile that works best for each type.

Bring it on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test script 9 works.JPG
Views:	2741
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	24748  

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-06-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Removed script page image by request.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote