View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #29
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
from the information we have, it can be concluded, that the Iliad goes offline (although still displaying the last page of course...Eink at work... ) after a longer period of idling...no idea how long...so if you leave it on, it'll continue to drain the battery for a couple of minutes and then switch off leaving the last active page on the display (see Nick's post...). If you want to use it again, you have to boot it up again which apparently takes some time.

The other devices such as v2 and Sony Librié and Reader power down after each pageturn immediately, thus achieving much longer battery life (measured in PageTurns instead of hours).
The reason for this could be the touchscreen...and of course the long boot-time.
I wonder why the Iliad takes so long to boot in comparison to the other devices that can apparently go from sleep-mode to operation in no time at all (otherwise the page-turning would become very slow)
It can't be the OS, the other devices also use some kind of Linux OS as far as I know (the V2 uses Wolf-Linux) so it probably is some kind of driver-implementation thing for the Wacom Interface? or the W-Lan module...but W-Lan is not needed and not active (I hope) when no connection to the IDS is required...so what's going on?

Nick...can you shed some light on the power-saving features of the Iliad? How long it stays on before it goes into sleep-mode?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote