View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #72
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Aren't they just like laptops, only cheaper and lower CPU etc?
CPU etc in netbooks is now rivaling laptops, and often beats laptops of just a few years ago.

The only coherent difference I've seen mentioned is that netbooks don't have CD drive. (No idea if that's a universal standard, but that's how it was described to me.)

Quote:
Tablets may be the new gizmo du jour, but I can't see them taking over... to me they seem to be like a different thing altogether for different functions.
Tablets are media consumption devices; netbooks/laptops/desktops are production devices.

Most people aren't actually involved in much computer-based production, so tablets are likely to become the dominant form over the next several years. However, authors don't write novels on tablets; movie-makers don't make films on them; accountants don't aggregate data from multiple spreadsheets on them; magazine editors don't do layout and photo-touchup on them.

There are probably isolated exceptions. One *could,* if necessary, do most (all?) of these things on a tablet. However, tablet software and hardware isn't well-designed for them, and isn't going to be; making them as versatile as computers would kill their main function: buy-and-play usability.

(I am keeping my PRS-505 active until it DIES because I dislike touchscreens, and the new BeBook is the only thing that seems to have the handful of features that matter to me--long battery life, file support for html or doc/rtf as well as an ebook format--and as far as I can tell, it's not sold in my country.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote