View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderete View Post
But Apple's iTunes Store is mostly reselling Audible's content (the Harry Potter books are the only major exception). And the iTunes Store is almost certainly the biggest "customer" for Audible: When Apple sells an audiobook, Audible still gets a cut. The same will be true for Amazon.com.

Sure, the Kindle adds some complexity to the equations, but in the end, more audiobooks going onto more iPods translates directly into more money for Amazon. Why would they cut off their biggest reseller? That would make zero business sense.
I think you are forgetting that Amazon and Apple are competitors in other arena's. Jobs is an arrogant POS who does not play well with others. Then again he is a billionaire and I drive a '97 Ranger pickup. I was looking at it from that perspective. I never implied or said Amazon would drop iTunes but rather the opposite. Amazon is laughing all the way to the bank. They got into Jobs' pocket and it has to just have him frosted blue.

So, to me what I see is a sad irony for Jobs. He is in a way backed into a corner. His sales are actually keeping a competitor profitable and growing. And he really can't stop it from happening or he risks further alienating the few Apple users who are objective as to what gets them the best deal for their money. And audiobook people are like us readers we will go where the content is...

What happens when Amazon begins promoting that people can buy Audible books directly from them for less. Then Amazon grabs the price conscious customers plus Amazon still gets a cut from those status conscious sorts who like the "warm fuzzy" they get buying Apple at full price while Amazon likely makes the same either way. Ever see that episode of South Park about drivers of the hybrid Toyonda Pious the Smug almost killed the world. Apple gets to keep them, which is cool, because it puts money in Amazon's coffers.

My hope is this could work to decrease the price of audible content...or at least add value to the membership side of things.

Last edited by brecklundin; 02-15-2008 at 01:11 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote