View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Who Would Buy a Bookeen Eink Reader?

This is a follow up on an other thread.
I have received several days ago two personal replies, from M. Michaël Dahan, cofounder of Bookeen. The matter and procedures being rather complicated I have taken time to think things out before posting this thread.

First of all he thanked us for our interest in Bookeen products and went on to specify that this product was originally intended for professional use, but that he was not closed to the idea that a group of people could place an order. The functionalities requested of the product have to be formulated in a package that will affect final price. It is requested that we put forth such a document with a desired target group price knowing that a delay of four months is necessary to elaborate the product. And he wanted us to keep negociations confidential.

In a reply I informed him that here, all our conversations were 'on line' and this fact alone kept any negociation impossible. At this point I gave him further indications of who we were,the address of the site and the one of the forum on the Bookeen reader.

He answered back by saying that he knew Mobile Read very well and that it is one of the best sites on ebooks. He understands the dilemma confidentiality puts on us in regards to communications, but that for the moment our dealings should'nt be done live.(As a business person I agree and respect completely)

As for details I can share he wants three points defined.
1. The must have features. Formats, touchscreen or not, DRM implementation etc. (Remember that anything we ask has an incidence on price)
2. Target price. (Here he jokes) $50USD is not a good answer )
3. How many potential buyers.

Then he goes on to suggest that we make a poll and he reiterates the fact that Bookeen is not against a group purchase.

Well... It's up to us to decide if we want to go through. I foresee lots of hurdles, first off, what we want to integrate and second, the number of people interested. Then if we're enough and that we manage to democratically unite our voices and requests, we will surely have to set guaranties up front because no serious company can safely deal with an unorganized group as ours. Then we'll build the road as needed...

Take a look at the poll. For now I only put up the prices so as to put a number on the people in favor of owning a Bookeen eink reader. And since we can vote only once I added quantity choices for those who would like to give one. That would weigh in the balance.

After you vote I invite you to post the features you want and then in a subsequent thread I'll set a poll with the features.Then we'll make an other poll to clarify our choices. It'll be complicated but it will work.
Ihave a personal request. I want a Mobile Read logo on the thing!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 12-12-2006 at 10:00 PM.