View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #12
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
I don't know if you guys are old enough to remember what the electronic music industry was like before MP3's, and yes there was one. It was a complete sh1t fight just like the electronic publishing industry is now.

Thanks to the ePUB format, which IS going to completely dominate our industry in the VERY near future ,the news is all good for the avid reader.... and the Author.... which are the only two groups that matter at all.

Frankly I think the publishing companies can all go and take flying you know what at the moon. They are the middle men, the profit takers, the leaches and parasites that have kept prices at ridiculous levels 'till date. The future is DRM free ePUBS, so if your device, software or personal library isn't geared toward DRM free ePUBS then you are barking up the wrong tree. Get with the program, smell the roses etc.

Amazon with their kindle is a calssic example of narrow minded protectionist thinking. If Amazon don't pull their fingers out and embrace ePUBs (non DRM at that) then they will be left with enough egg on their face to make an a pavlova the size of Mt Everest, and I for one would laugh my ass off. The resaon they don't want to do that is because they want to keep making millions of doallars out of what should, and soon will be a transaction directly between the author and the reader, as it should be.

Steve Jordan is a perfect example of a forward thinking Author, he sells his books direct to the public for $2.50, no publisher, no DRM no being locked in to a particular piece of hardware or software. If we all get with the program, get behind guys like Steve and let the Amazons and other middle men out there that they have to play the game our way or not at all, then we will be better off much sooner.

I think this site absolutely rocks and everyone is entitled to their own opinion... and let's face it, how boring would life be if we all thought the same way. But if you don't see a clear and definitive parallel between MP3's and ePUBS then you're essentially walking around with your eyes closed because you're more in love your kindle or whatever than you are with reading.... and reading is supposed to be point after all, isn't it.

Have you stopped for just a minute and looked at the plethera of 'conversion software' out there. Doesn't that tell you anything? Wouldn't it be nice if you could download a book in a universal format for a couple of bucks or less, directly from the author and read it on the device of your choosing? Well guess what, you can! You just have to stop being a sheep, stop supporting companies that aren't supporting you. Use your kindle or other proprietry device you may have as a frisbee, get over buying the wrong device, go and buy one of the MANY ePUB friendly devices out there and get back to enjoying your books.

We are lucky enough to be at the cusp of an explosion in popularity of electronic reading and it is in our own interest to do all we can to spread the word through the medium of MobileRead and any other available to us that DRM is dead, that we want ALL electronic reading matter to be in ONE REFLOWABLE format.... whic means.... yes, you guessed it, DRM free ePUBS.

So, to be perfectly clear and succinct, if you don't have a device that can read DRM free ePUBs.... then go and get one! Coz dat's da future baby, make no mistake.
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote