Thread: Kindle or EPUB?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowthenmobile View Post
So, if you reckon that I cannot convert Kindle to Nook, then if Amazon were to stop providing support for Kindle and stop selling Kindle, I could end up losing my entire ebook collection?

Are modern EPUB books all DRM protected? What does the DRM do? Does it tie an EPUB to a particular brand of eReader? If I bought it for a Nook, could I then transfer it to a Sony?
This is the current position that publishers and suppliers are taking. Books are licensed to just you, with no provision for 'format shifting' to other devices.

DRM is a way of encrypting the contents of the ebooks so that they can only be read on authorised devices. Some DRM requires you to re-download the books when you want to read them on a new device (Kindle, ADE ePub). Some requires you to enter some personal information before you can read the book (B&N ePub).

In the USA (and some other countries), removing ('circumventing') DRM is (or may be — opinions differ) illegal. Certainly, distributing the means to remove DRM is illegal., which is why you won't find downloads for DRM removal or explicit instructions on Mobileread.

I If Amazon were to stop selling Kindle devices, or if Adobe stopped supporting ADE DRM (as they have done for some of their previous DRM schemes) you could be left with a lot of ebooks that you can no longer read.

The solution, which I consider ethical even if there are arguments about its legality, is to remove the DRM from your ebooks as soon as you can, and store the de-DRMed version away in a well-backed-up archive.

I believe that currently Sony ePub can be read on Nooks but not vice-versa. This might change in the future. Apple iBooks ePubs can only be read using Apple's iBooks app.

DRM removal tools are available for ADE ePubs, B&N ePub, Kindle Mobipocket and Kindle Topaz. There are currently no DRM removal tools for Apple's ePubs.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote