View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I did do a search on "synopsis", "summary", and "back cover" for this, but didn't find any other threads. (Admittedly, I only searched this specific forum - as I thought it was the most appropriate for the discussion.)

I find this interesting. I, myself, always like to look at the back cover of books - not just when I'm buying one, but when I see somebody else reading one I might be interested in, or happen upon one in a room somewhere.

If I were to walk into a room and just find readers lying around, I'd quickly get frustrated because there would be no easy way of determining what the content on the reader was "about" - unless I was already familiar with the author or the title.

I know that the digital world isn't going to be (nor necessarily should be) the same as the analogue world - but I'd like to think the experience should be at least as enjoyable in all contexts (where that makes sense) as possible.

I like my new reading experience, and will likely prefer eBooks over real ones moving forward, but I kind of thought that this is one area where it isolates you. (Of course, there are other areas, such as sharing uploads, etc., where the opposite can happen.)

I would like to at least see a summary - if not the actual back cover itself. The fact that we get a front cover makes things seem a bit inconsistent.

I don't suppose that there's some kind of publishing standards board for eBooks that could be contacted about something like this? I'm guessing this is all much more to do with individual publishers than anything else.

P.S. Thanks for the welcome. <grin>

Last edited by JasonB; 01-22-2009 at 02:27 PM.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote