Thread: Calibre Speedup
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
@BR, Thanks for responding.

Yes, theoretically. But those other-forum comments I mentioned said that OS X was sometimes breaking the symlinks without the user moving or renaming target after setting up the symlink.
Yeah, well as Mandy said - 'They would say that, wouldn't they'.

I'm no great fan of Apple, but even I don't believe they would have broken softlinks - I think they've been in Unix since the get-go, like most of Unix probably inherited from Multics - internally they're just a text file.

Quote:
I don't want to put metadata.db on a ramdisk. Meanwhile when I have time I'll retest bulk conversions using your performance settings.
IMO - anyone who puts persistent data on a RAM disk has rocks in their head. Temporary files, swap files etc fine - but not stuff you expect to be around tomorrow.

Re performance settings : I often have other heavy duty things going on - Matlab models, software builds, video conversions. When I do a bulk operations in Calibre I am happy to go away and do something else, read newsfeeds, debug code, watch stock tickers - have lunch. If the Calibre job takes 20 minutes rather than 10 that's cool, there's always another fish to fry

Quote:
One of the people who said that in the past was me. In the calibre GUI, bottom right corner, show or hide the Tag Browser with the little button that looks like a tag. I believe last year, hiding the tag browser before calibre quit and subsequently restarted decreased startup time, in relation to composite columns, but there were some changes since then. I retested this 1 or 2 weeks ago, after ensuring that each composite column had an unchecked checkbox for Show in tags browser (Preferences -> Add your own columns). Results: it didn't matter whether Tag Browser was shown or hidden during calibre startup.
I didn't realise the close tag browser suggestion came from you mate.

I was looking for something on the wrong side, near the tag browser - which on my setup is on the left. Its got a keyboard shortcut toggle too - very handy I'm always wishing the book list was wider

A couple of days ago I discovered that Word has keyboard shortcuts for ellipsis and em - I've been using Word for 20+ years - I'm a slow learner

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote