View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Why does everyone think the iPad is an ereader? Sure it has ereader capabilities but it is not an ereader! For some people it works great (because they only read on it for a little while) but for any long periods, it will kill your eyes (you can even see the backlight glow in the main picture in the article). At least the article mentions the Kindle. So why the iPad obsession?
(Then again, maybe I'm just ranting because the chances of my owning an iPad are rather small...)
It you can read ebooks with it, it's an ereader. It may simply also do other things.

My device of choice for reading ebooks is a Palm OS PDA. I like it precisely because it performs a number of other functions as well as displaying ebooks, and want any device that night replace it to do likewise. A friend who has one and is a content developer calls the iPad a "media consumption device", and I think he nailed it. Media encompasses a wide variety of things, and so will a generalized device for consuming it. You can't watch YouTube on a Kindle...

Whether you can comfortably read on a backlit screen is highly subjective. I've been doing so for years and never had a problem with it. Others can't, and find eInk displays the only things that make ebooks tolerable, because they [i]can[i] read them for extended periods comfortably.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-04-2010 at 11:55 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote