View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #22
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Yes I thought about that while posting, though I never said funny or funnier, I said funner as in fun. In context it fits though - the spy thriller is bound to be lighter and funner than the novel about the effects of radiation.
Yeah, sorry about that. I can only offer the excuse that I saw what I expected to see in that expression. I am not use to seeing the word funner used. If and when you read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold I think you will find it very dark and pessimistic about human nature and governments of all types. My only reason for picking Black Rain over The Spy Who Came in from the Cold is that for such a novel that depends on surprising plot twists, and there is a huge one here, is it can only be a surprise the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
That's exactly the type of story that I have a very low interest in reading personally. I feel like I already know about the consequences and have no need to wallow in it or be taught a cautionary lesson.
I obviously would be lying if I told you that Black Rain wasn't about the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, and the after effects. Though it is more a story about the ability to cope and survive a tragedy, as well as an anti-war novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looks like this is going to be a poor month. Black Rain is uninteresting and the other is a book in the middle of a series. Oh well. Maybe February will be better. But given that February is romance, I doubt it.
So out of the original ten choices, what would have met your approval? Limited to SciFi/Fantasy and first published within the last 20 years? Anyway it's good to have you back and offering your point of view. Look at the bright side, Lolita was never in contention. For what it is worth this would have been my order of preference among the ten, taking into account those already read and my lack of interest in SciFi/Fantasy.
  1. Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton
  2. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
  3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  4. Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse
  5. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré
  6. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  7. Hyperion by Dan Simmons
  8. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
  9. Storm Front by Jim Butcher