View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Who's blundering: author, or me?

The book I've just finished in my "re-read all my (very old) Fantasy I have"-project is The Diamon Throne (Book One of The Elenium), by David Eddings.

I've noticed something that can be only described as a big mistake, or I'm missing something.

In the Prologue is described how the Troll Ghwerig created Bhelliom, a rose carved out of blue sapphire:

Quote:
When at last the carving was done, the gem was in the shape of a rose of deepest sapphire blue. And he named it Bhelliom...
A bit further, the Troll Gods tell Ghwerig that he has to create a key, to control Bhelliom, after they put their magic into the jewel. Gwherig creates two rings, from the shards of Bhelliom, that fell off while he was shaping the jewel into a rose:

Quote:
...his Gods revealed to him that there must be a key to unlock the power of Bhelliom, lest its might be unleashed by the whim of any who came upon it. (...) Taking the shards which had fallen unnoticed in the dust about his feet as he had laboured to shape the sapphire rose, he fashioned a pair of rings. Of finest gold were the rings, and each was mounted with a polished oval fragment of Bhelliom itself.
The stones in these rings are blue, but become pale as a diamond, after connecting to Bhelliom:

Quote:
The deep, glowing blue of the stones mounted in his rings fled back into Bhelliom itself, and the jewels that adorned his twisted hands were now as pale as diamond.
So, now the stone in the ring is pale (white/translucent, I suppose).

Sparhawk wears a ring on his finger, and the Queen (and before her, the King Aldreas) also had such a ring:

Quote:
'We have sought its mate, the ring of King Aldreas, but it seems to be missing. Would you have any idea where we might find it?'

Sparhawk spread his hands. 'Aldreas had it on his finger when I left for Cippria,' he replied. 'The rings are not customarily taken off, so I assume he was still wearing it when he died.'

'No. He was not.'

'Perhaps the Queen has it then.'
Sparhawk's ring is blood-red:

Quote:
Sparhawk held out his hand, showing her the blood-red ring on his finger.
And in the end, Sparhawk obtains the second ring from the ghost of Aldreas. It is revelead that these are the rings fashioned by Ghwerig, used to control Bhelliom. But now they are blood-red Rubies:

Quote:
The blood-red ring which adorns thy hand and that which in life adorned mine are older far than we had imagined. He who fashioned Bhelliom fashioned the rings, also, and they are the keys which will unlock the power of the jewel.'
Sparhawk is given a spear, and in the socket that holds the handle, Aldreas' ring is hidden:

Quote:
He looked into the ancient steel socket of the blade. The blood-red glitter of a ruby winked back at him.
Now tell me... These rings were blue sapphires, that were turned pale as diamond by connecting them to Bhelliom. When and where did they become blood-red Rubies?

If this is to be explained in book Two or Three of this trilogy, then just say so, and don't explain any furhter; I'll encounter it while reading. The second book is called "The Ruby Knight", which I hope is not for nothing...

If I did miss something in The Diamond Throne, and it was explained who the stones in the rings turned from blue-sapphire-gone-pale to blood-red rubies, then I'd like to know...

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-15-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote