View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by c861556 View Post
The physical aspects of book production accounting for only 15% of the total cost does sound awfully suspicious. Also, the author and the editor I get. But the designer, marketers, publicists, distributors, and resellers? How big of a percentage can the designer possibly get? And isn't distribution a physical aspect? I thought we already discussed that part. As for marketers and publicists, that's your own fault for surrounding yourself with parasitic middlemen. If they take away your profits and force you to hike prices, here's one simple solution: don't hire them.
Well, I think you're taking it too far.

For the physical product, typesetting/page layout can be time consuming, but yields a very nice result. I'm waiting for these elements of typography to translate to the ebook world, but I fear they may not.

Physical or not, marketing is needed to push the product (although I hardly see any marketing for books these days, beyond the author's own efforts. I guess there needs to be people on the publisher side to arrange book signings etc.)
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote