View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Sony Reader for PC -- not rendering 16-color png

I know this subforum is primarily for the Sony devices, but I have questions about the Sony Reader software for PC. (My reader is dead, and not replaced yet.)

I have converted some grey-scale illustrations to 16-color png. They look fine in Sigil, in Calibre Reader (so QT-web is apparently all right with those). They look fine in ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) for desktop.

In the Sony Reader software, they look like they are rendering as maybe only four colors. Possibly eight. It's hard to tell.

On the other hand, 256-color greyscale renders fine. Also 16-million color.

(I thought Sony reader is based on ADE, so I am doubly confused.)

This is the first time I have used 16-color, always used 256-color previously. Since this public domain book has over 300 illustrations, I want to make sure the images will display correctly for other users before I upload to the library.

Does anyone have advice?

Or, barring advice, could a few kind souls test the attachment, and see if their reader shows the sample illustrations decently?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyReader-test-256colorPNG.png
Views:	610
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	111590   Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyReaderTest-16colorPNG.png
Views:	617
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	111591   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE-test-256-colorPNG.png
Views:	465
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	111592   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE-test-16colorPNG.png
Views:	468
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	111593  
Attached Files
File Type: epub test-16color-png.epub (172.2 KB, 372 views)

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 09-20-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: add screenshots
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote