View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I agree that this part of the series is weaker than the first two groups. IMO, it borders on some sort of mystical religious tract at times. [...].
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I haven't gotten into the series yet, but it seems to me that the basic premise of the series is such as to almost require a mystical world to work. I mean if the physical laws of the Universe were to change enough that you couldn't even have steam power, I have a hard time believing that life as we know it could exist either.
The former part of the series is written in the spirit of alternate history. One thing is changed (in this case a pretty major one, suddenly changing some physical laws, basically disabling enhanced technology.), and the point of the book is to take this premise and look what might happen. No further unexplained "magic" happens and changes the outcome.

The second series is completely different in spirit, not science fiction, but fantasy. A super-bad villain with magic powers is introduced, and OTOH you get a messias-like character on the quest for a saving magic sword.

For me the second series failed at the basic level, it is just not very entertaining. Aiming for epic grandness but reaching only very much drawn out repetitions of frugal meals and wandering around. (I personally pulled the plug at The High King of Montival.)
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote