Thread: OTG support
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #28
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryholland View Post
Hello All,

So... what I'd really like to plug in is a USB -> LAN adapter, so i can connect my K5 to a wired network. I work in a museum, where we shy away from using wifi in our exhibits for maintenance reasons... so its sort of copper or nothing..

Since i already have the usbnet hack installed and can SSH, what do you think the chances/pitfalls of me plugging in a LAN adapter with a powered hub & micro usb converter? Do you think it might 'just work'?

Obviously I should just try it out, but i'd be very grateful for your input!
-h
That's probably even more difficult than what the OP asked for. For your setup, you'd need loads of additional hardware, as well as OTG support on the Kindle *and* the correct driver for the LAN adapter. That's a lot of question marks and work, if it's feasible at all.

Just put a WiFi hotspot somewhere in a corner, set it up with WPA2-PSK (or even better, Enterprise WPA2), and configure it to only allow the Kindle's MAC address. Reasonably safe, zero maintenance after setting it up, and no hassle with the Kindle either. And you can even walk around with the Kindle
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote