View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #32
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'll admit - I wonder how parents today handle it. When I was young (oh, so many years ago) the big deal was whether a parent had the right to read a child's journal. Or search their room for naughty books or drug paraphernalia. I can't imagine today - do you confiscate their laptops or tablets? And what's to stop them from buying a $10 thumb drive or micro-SD card and keeping all the "good stuff" safely hidden away?
Kids could always secret things away, and the one time I bumped into that sort of thing as a child was because a friend found his father's stash. So I don't think much has changed on that front. What has changed is the technology. Stuff that kids once had to seek is now readily available online. Things that were once simply hidden are now locked away behind accounts and passwords. A tech savvy parent and a not so tech savvy kid makes it easy to figure out what's going on. Unfortunately, parents aren't always up to date with technology (and those who are may not know the latest fad) while kids can get tips from their friends to hide their activity.