View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
USB, disconnecting Vox from computer

Thanks, Taming.

I used the USB to connect while ADE was open, and ADE detected the Aldiko app, which I had already authorized with an Adobe. I dragged a few books to the Aldiko icon, both pdf's and an epub.

I must be doing something wrong when disconnecting the Vox from the laptop, because I've had problems a couple of times now.

I've connected the Vox to the laptop before with no problem. Then today the Vox froze after I disconnected. This is a Windows XP laptop. I used the 'safely remove hardware' to disconnect the Vox. Before I could press the button on the Vox to stop the USB storage, that screen disappeared on the Vox, but then the Vox froze.

I ended up installing Dropbox because I figured if the Vox was going to be ornery each time I physically tethered it, Dropbox would just be easier. (I had been concerned about security with Dropbox, but my firewall isn't letting Dropbox do ANYTHING without copious amounts of complaining, and I'm fine with that because I want to know what's talking to the internet, and unless I'm actually moving files, Dropbox doesn't need to be doing this. )

Once I found out about ADE being able to detect the Vox, I tried that, as I said. This time I used the 'safely remove hardware' on the laptop, and then pressed the 'stop USB storage' on the Vox and then unplugged the USB. I pushed the app icon on the Vox. The Aldiko icon was gone. I checked my installed list. Aldiko was still there. I tried to open Astro, and instead the last .pdf file I had been viewing (using the trial Office Suite app) opened. This happened each time I tried the Astro icon. So I ended up shutting down the Vox and restarting anyway. The icons were restored and working correctly after that. However, Aldiko didn't have the books I dragged over. I found them in the Digital Editions when I used Astro to look for them. Using Aldiko's interface, I imported each book individually.

I am pleased to see that Aldiko manages pdf's, but there was one pdf that had given me a hard time with the sony reader and it would stick on any page that had a chart. It was only problematic with this one e-book, and the publisher and I tried several different things, but this is the way it was. Aldiko had the same issues with that one pdf book, but the Office Suite trial seems to manage OK with it.

I am also pleased to see that Aldiko does see the total pages in a book and that one can skip forward with a slider bar that appears when you tap in the middle of the page. I was thus able to get to the pages I had left off at with my sony reader, so I can pick up with the Vox.

If I can get the Vox and the laptop to disconnect gracefully from one another, I would be fine using ADE and Aldiko. I don't have a lot of titles in ADE, most of them are in my Sony library on the laptop, but I can move the books individually. If I can't, I guess I can drop the epubs into dropbox and import them into Aldiko that way, which might end up being simpler. All I have to do is power up Dropbox and make sure my firewall allows it.

Lots to learn with this thing.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote