View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
This was the big hoohaa over the Digitial Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) because it basically says you cannot undermine security or encryption measures, which means for your commercial DVDs which are encrypted, you still have the right to back it up for personal use but you do not have the right to bypass the encryption.
Strictly speaking, the DMCA doesn't prevent you from bypassing "security" measures on your legally purchased content.

It prevents you from telling others how to bypass the "security" or to create software for the purpose of bypassing the "security."

(I say "security" because DRM was never about piracy. It's about customer lock-in and squeezing every cent out of them.)

So, me ripping my DVDs to my hard drive is NOT a violation. The person who wrote (and probably any company that distributes) the software that allows me to rip the DVD is the one in violation.

I guess that, technically, if I tell you what software I run and how I rip DVDs, that's also a violation.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote