View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Good luck with it all, GM. When I was young I used to write short stories. I enjoyed writing them, but of late it seems like I get more satisfaction out of being able to develop the characters the way a novel allows. I think I'm too wordy for shorts.
Thanks James. I'm definitely verbose, it's something I'm trying to improve on. I like the comfort of a novel, for reading and for writing. I like to be able to settle in and wriggle around and get comfortable. Too often with shorts I'm only just starting to enjoy myself and they're done.

The few shorts I've written this year quite surprised me, it's been many years since anything came to me that actually wanted to be a self-contained short. These few ideas were ones that I knew were short as soon as I started writing them. (Although the latest is turning out to be rather long for a short, I'm guessing it will come out around 25k words - but then I've had single chapters almost that long. )