View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
Furious with Sony Service

A bit over a week ago my PRS505 screen went bad. Never dropped or abused - the screen just stopped working. I sent it back to Sony for warranty repairs. There was no visible damage - no dents, scratches or cracks. My reader was well loved and treated gently during it's short life.

Today I received the following -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony
We have completed the repair estimate for your unit based on the information you provided us. The estimated charge for your repair will be $267.49. This charge includes labor, parts, tax if applicable, and shipping back to you.
I called the Sony Service Center and was told that my display was cracked. Not the outside, but one of the inner layers. I was told that I must have broken it. I asked for a supervisor and was sent to another Customer Service Center and spoke to another agent (not a supervisor). This agent told me that even though there was no visible damage that it was still not covered under warranty. In my description of the problem I had stated that the screen was scrambled. The agent told me that this always indicated a cracked screen. I told her that I would have to be very stupid to pay almost $300 for my month old reader to be repaired when it originally cost me $300. She offered to send it back unrepaired. I kept insisting that I wanted it fixed under warranty or replaced. The agent wouldn't budge. I asked to speak to a supervisor. They promised a call within 48 hours.

I'm so discouraged, but still angry enough to make this really ugly if they won't budge. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote