View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #57
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post
If ebooks take off (and I think they will), there will be less and less reason for people to go out to b&m stores.
Actually, it should be "if webshops take off (and I know they will), there will be less and less reason for people to go out to b&m stores.

The demise of b&m stores isn't caused by ebooks, but rather by webshops, like Amazon.

We have an awesome bookstore here in town. It has a good selection and it's a good atmosphere. But the few pbooks I've bought these last few years, I either bought at Amazon or Bol.com (major Dutch online bookshop). Because it's much easier than going to town. And they're always open, even if I want to buy in the middle of the night, instead of closing at 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Taking personal feelings out of it, if they're not selling a product that the majority of consumers want anymore, then why should they stay open?

I think, if it gets to that point, the smart ones will start selling eBooks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
I've said before on MR that I still love to browse in bookshops, even though I rarely buy pbooks now. My ideal solution would be a store which let me select a book and then download it there and then from a terminal in the corner. Perhaps when the format wars have resolved themselves and the days of proprietary readers/formats have gone, that model will help keep the B&M stores alive.
I agree. In the future you'll be able to buy hard cover, soft cover, paperback and ebook formats. I know of a (minor) publisher here in the Netherlands, that has started to sell its books on an USB stick. You can also buy this stick in a b&m store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
For myself, almost all the books I read now are ebooks or are bought from Amazon or Ebay (and the rest are used books from the occasional visit to charity stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army.) I don't remember the last time I walked into a physical book store, but it has to be at least 2 or 3 years ago. Even 10 years ago when I was still using a physical book store (Books A Million) it was almost always to buy magazines, as I was already getting my physical books cheaper from Amazon.

So-- for me-- it isn't a matter of wanting book stores to close, but that their continuing presence is no longer important to me one way or the other.
See, I'm not the only one!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote